This site includes links from a number of different affiliate programs. When you click on a link and make a purchase, we may earn a commission.
COMA Bible Study Method
The COMA Bible Study Method is an in depth method to study God’s Word and is described in David Helms Book “One-to-One Bible Reading”.
This Bible Study Method is based on the acronym COMA.
This is how it works:
First read the passage you want to study.
C – Observation – First study the context of the passage by answering the following questions:
- What sort of writing is this?
- What circumstances surround the writing?
- What has come before this?
- What comes after this?
- Any other Bible passages connected to this one?
O – Observation – Focus on making good observations in your study text. The following questions might be helpful to you.
- How does the text divide into sections?
- What is the main point or points?
- Any surprises or ironies? Key words?
M – Meaning – Now we want to search out the meaning of this passage. What is the “heart message” of this text? What does God intend for us to know? Consider answering the following questions:
- How does this portion relate to other parts of the book it is in?
- What does it teach about God, Jesus, man, sin, salvation, the church, etc.?
- How could we sum up the meaning in a few words?
A – Application – We don’t want to solely read God’s Word but we also want and need to apply it to our life. We want God’s Word to work in us and change us. Here are a few questions that help us apply this passage to our life.
- How does this change or strengthen my understanding?
- Is there some attitude I need to change?
- How must I change the way I live?
The COMA Bible Study Method is a great method to help us dig deeper into God’s Word and to avoid misinterpreting it because it requires us to study a Bible passage in its context. So it goes from a bigger picture of passage to digging deeper and deeper into it.
Download Free Graphic – COMA Bible Study Method
Welcome to our site where we share the Wisdom that comes from Heaven – from God, God’s Word, Love, and Truth in a creative visual way.
I’m a servant of Jesus Christ sharing God’s Word, Love, and Truth to draw people to Jesus Christ so they can be reconciled with God according to Matthew 28:16–20. I’m also a wife, mom, teacher, author, and artist.