This site includes links from a number of different affiliate programs. When you click on a link and make a purchase, we may earn a commission. We also have ads displayed on our site as a means to support our online ministry. Please be aware that some of the ads may not be appropriate for Christians.
What Does It Mean to Be a Christian?
The word Christian comes from the Greek word Χριστιανός (Christianos) meaning ‘Little Christ’. and is derived from the word Χριστός (Christos), meaning “anointed one”. Being a Christian means that you believe in Jesus alone for your salvation. You believe that Jesus is God and the Son of God and that He died on the cross for your sins so you can be reconciled with your Father in Heaven and have eternal life. As a Christian you accept God’s gracious gift of salvation through His Son Jesus Christ. But that’s not all! Being a Christian also means that you strive to become like Jesus. You interact with God and others like Jesus did. As a true born-again Christian you believe and follow Jesus Christ as your Lord and Savior. You have a personal and intimate relationship with Jesus and are indwelt by the Holy Spirit who transforms you and guides you to become more and more like Jesus.
Before I share with you 33 characteristics of being a true born-again Christian, I want to share what being a Christian is not:
You are not a true Christian if you belong to a cult that mentions Jesus but does not follow the truths in the Bible.
But even if we or an angel from heaven should preach to you a gospel contrary to the one we preached to you, let him be accursed. Galatians 1:8 ESV
You are not a true Christian if you were born and raised in a Western Nation.
There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither slave nor free, there is no male and female, for you are all one in Christ Jesus. Galatians 3:28 ESV
You are not a true Christian if your parents were believers and you went to church as a child.
6 But it is not as though the word of God has failed. For not all who are descended from Israel belong to Israel, 7 and not all are children of Abraham because they are his offspring, but “Through Isaac shall your offspring be named.” 8 This means that it is not the children of the flesh who are the children of God, but the children of the promise are counted as offspring. 9 For this is what the promise said: “About this time next year I will return, and Sarah shall have a son.” 10 And not only so, but also when Rebekah had conceived children by one man, our forefather Isaac, 11 though they were not yet born and had done nothing either good or bad—in order that God’s purpose of election might continue, not because of works but because of him who calls— 12 she was told, “The older will serve the younger.” 13 As it is written, “Jacob I loved, but Esau I hated.”
14 What shall we say then? Is there injustice on God’s part? By no means! 15 For he says to Moses, “I will have mercy on whom I have mercy, and I will have compassion on whom I have compassion.” 16 So then it depends not on human will or exertion, but on God, who has mercy. 17 For the Scripture says to Pharaoh, “For this very purpose I have raised you up, that I might show my power in you, and that my name might be proclaimed in all the earth.” 18 So then he has mercy on whomever he wills, and he hardens whomever he wills.
Romans 9:6-18 ESV
You are not a true Christian if you once said a prayer and then rejected God for the rest of your life.
They said to you, “In the last time there will be scoffers, following their own ungodly passions.” It is these who cause divisions, worldly people, devoid of the Spirit. Jude 1:18-19 ESV
You are not a true Christian if you think Jesus was a good man and did good things, but do not believe that Jesus is God and the Son of God who died for your sins.
And he said to him, “Why do you ask me about what is good? There is only one who is good. If you would enter life, keep the commandments.” Matthew 19:17 ESV
You are not a true Christian if you believe you can earn salvation by your own works.
For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, not a result of works, so that no one may boast. Ephesians 2:8–9 ESV
You are not a true Christian if you think you are good and do good deeds.
for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God, Romans 3:23 ESV
For the wages of sin is death, but the free gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord.
Romans 6:23 ESV
Characteristics of a True Christian
1. You are a true Christian if you believe that we are all sinners and deserve punishment from God for our sins. We can’t save ourselves from God’s wrath. Only God can save us from His wrath through salvation in His Son Jesus Christ.
2. You are a true Christian if you repent of your sins and respond to God’s love with making a change of mind, heart, and action, and with turning away from sin and self and returning to God.
3. You are a true Christian if you believe that God sent His Son Jesus Christ to die on the cross to pay the penalty for our sins so we can be reconciled with God and have eternal life.
4. You are a true Christian if you believe that salvation can’t be earned by our own works but is given as a gift from God by grace through faith in Jesus Christ.
5. You are a true Christian if you believe that Jesus Christ is God and have accepted Him as your Lord and Savior, if you believe in Him and become His disciple, if you seek an intimate relationship with God, if you walk with God.
6. You are a true Christian if you obey God and His commandments.
7. You are a true Christian if you are born again and indwelt by the Holy Spirit.
8. You are a true Christian if you are sanctified by the Holy Spirit, strive to become like Christ, and endure until the end.
9. You are a true Christian if you don’t continue to sin despite your sinful nature.
10. You are a true Christian if you love God and love God more than your life and anyone and anything else. To love God is the first and great commandment in the Bible.
11. You are a true Christian if you love your neighbor as yourself.
12. You are a true Christian if you fear the Lord.
13. You are a true Christian if you love your enemies.
14. You are a true Christian if you have the fruit of the Spirit.
15. You are a true Christian if you humble yourself, deny yourself, take up your cross, and follow Jesus.
16. You are a true Christian if you have a hunger and thirst for God’s Word.
17. You are a true Christian if you seek God’s Kingdom first.
18. You are a true Christian if you feel the urge to share the Gospel and make disciples.
19. You are a true Christian if you stop walking in the flesh and walk in the Spirit.
20. You are a true Christian if you believe that Jesus is the only way to the Father and eternal life.
21. You are a true Christian if you share in Christ’s sufferings.
22. You are a true Christian if you don’t judge others but show compassion and mercy to them.
23. You are a true Christian if you don’t follow the worldly patterns. You are in this world, but not from this world. You are seated with Christ in heaven.
24. You are a true Christian if you have a heart for the poor, sick, and outcasts.
25. You are a true Christian if you trust in God, seek His wisdom, and don’t lean on your own understanding.
26. You are a true Christian if you love to give with a cheerful heart.
27. You are a true Christian if you are faithful in all areas of your life.
28. You are a true Christian if whatever you wish that others would do to you, you do also to them.
29. You are a true Christian if you comfort and encourage other people.
30. You are a true Christian if you thank, praise, and worship the Lord genuinely.
31. You are a true Christian if you pray regularly.
32. You are a true Christian if you meet and commune with others within the Body of Christ on a regular basis.
33. You are a true Christian if you use your spiritual gifts to serve others.
Marks of a true Christian according to Romans 12:9-21
Welcome to our site where we share the Wisdom that comes from Heaven – from God, God’s Word, Love, and Truth – and warmly invite you to use your creativity to serve and worship God.
I’m a disciple and servant of Jesus Christ leading people to Jesus Christ so they can be reconciled with God according to Matthew 28:16–20 and become disciples of Jesus Christ. I’m also a wife, mom, teacher, Christian Life Coach, author, blogger, and artist.
Necessary cookies are absolutely essential for the website to function properly. This category only includes cookies that ensures basic functionalities and security features of the website. These cookies do not store any personal information.
Analytical cookies are used to understand how visitors interact with the website. These cookies help provide information on metrics the number of visitors, bounce rate, traffic source, etc.
This cookie is installed by Google Analytics. The cookie is used to calculate visitor, session, campaign data and keep track of site usage for the site's analytics report. The cookies store information anonymously and assign a randomly generated number to identify unique visitors.
This cookie is set by Google and is used to distinguish users.
This cookie is installed by Google Analytics. The cookie is used to store information of how visitors use a website and helps in creating an analytics report of how the website is doing. The data collected including the number visitors, the source where they have come from, and the pages visted in an anonymous form.
Advertisement cookies are used to provide visitors with relevant ads and marketing campaigns. These cookies track visitors across websites and collect information to provide customized ads.
1 year 24 days
Used by Google DoubleClick and stores information about how the user uses the website and any other advertisement before visiting the website. This is used to present users with ads that are relevant to them according to the user profile.
This cookie is used to a profile based on user's interest and display personalized ads to the users.
This cookie is set by doubleclick.net. The purpose of the cookie is to determine if the user's browser supports cookies.
5 months 27 days
This cookie is set by Youtube. Used to track the information of the embedded YouTube videos on a website.